Summer is the height of blueberry season, and these gorgeous, health-packed little berries are ripe and abundant!
Commonly hailed as a “superfood,” blueberries are rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. Their health benefits have been well-documented, and include cardiovascular benefits, eye-health, whole-body antioxidant support, and cognitive benefits–did you know that studies have indicated blueberries may improve memory, and slow the onset of other cognitive problems associated with aging?
Take advantage of Virginia’s blueberry season, and come grab some of these little wonders from the market!
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh blueberries
- 1 cup whole blueberries
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Toss together all the ingredients, and either serve immediately or cover and chill. Note--for a less spicy salsa, nix the jalapeños and throw in some tomatoes instead! Or, for a flavorful twist, try subbing in some fresh mint for the cilantro. Very adaptable, easy, and a great recipe for summer!