It’s that time of year – strawberry season! They have been appearing more and more at the local markets and will soon be in peak season. Fresh strawberries are truly amazing on their own, but if you are looking for another way to enjoy this Spring delight try this delicious salad.
The crisp spinach pairs perfectly with juicy strawberries while the pecans add a wonderful crunch (some local goats cheese would be a delicious creamy addition as well). The bright and fresh vinaigrette ties the whole salad together and gives another layer of intese strawberry flavor.
Pick up a pint (or quart, or bushell) of strawberries and a nice bag of spinach this weekend and give this salad a try!
- 1/2 pound fresh strawberries, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 3 tbs strawberry vinegar
- 3 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 oz of fresh spinach (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, cut into thick slices
- Place strawberries and sugar in blender or food processor
- Pulse until pulverized, then add vinegar and blend until smooth
- Let sit for 1 hour for flavors to meld
- Strain through fine mesh sieve to achieve smooth vinegar (if desired)
- In a small dry frying pan, over medium heat, lightly toast the pecan halves until just golden brown. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the strawberry vinegar, salt and pepper. Add the olive oil and whisk well until fully combined.
- In a large bowl, place spinach, strawberries and pecans. Pour vinaigrette in as well and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.